Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wing Spreading Update

Last week, I wrote a post titled Letting Them Spread Their Wings.  I thought i would share a quick update.

The whole thing got off to a rocky start thanks to the weather.  We had snow the night before we were planning to leave, so the next morning, the roads were questionable.  We left a little later than we had originally planned, but made it safely and with a little time to spare.

As they say, parting is such sweet sorrow.  We got her checked in and, then, it was time to say our good-byes.  Just as I wrote, I gave her a big hug and told her how proud I was and how much I love her.  With a smile on her face, she skipped off in one direction and I went in the other direction.  I did not cry!  But I was definitely glad I had a friend to keep me company and keep my mind off of Rachel!

Rachel has had an extremely busy few days.  They have been having to get up at 5:15am every morning.  We only get to talk to her once a day - usually around 9:00-9:30 in the evening and she is understandably exhausted by then.  But, she seems to be having fun and hasn't mentioned being homesick or anything.  Last night, however, Emily went to bed in tears because she said she misses Rachel.  Talk about pulling at my heartstrings!!!  All I could do was hold her and tell her that I miss Rachel, too, but that I know Rachel is safe and will be home soon.

Speaking of that, David is driving up later today.  He will spend the night and then get Rachel pretty early tomorrow morning.  They will drive home and, by dinner time tomorrow, we will all be reunited!!!!  Yay!!!!!

For me, the experience has had its ups and downs.  For the most part, I've been o.k.  I have had moments when I just wanted to see her and look into her eyes and know that she was happy, though.  Mostly, it is just weird.  Usually, when they are away from me - at school, with grandparents - I still know exactly where they are, exactly who they are with, and basically what they are doing.  In this case, I don't know the people she is with and I don't know exactly what they are doing.  I can't be positive that she wore her coat or got enough to eat.  That loss of control just feels strange.   I am so not used to this distance between us.  When I do talk to her in the evenings, I can hear how tired she is and I am torn between wanting to know every little thing and just wanting to let her go to bed.

Within 24 hours from now, she will be with her Daddy and I will feel a great sense of relief, I know.  Soon thereafter, she will be back at home with all of us.  I can't wait to hear about all of her adventures and all of the people she met.  But, most of all, I just want to give her a big hug, tuck her into bed, and know that she is, once again, safe at home with me!

Thanks to everyone who has asked about her, asked about me.  Thanks, also, for all the good thoughts and prayers that have been sent our way!!  Keep 'em coming just a little bit longer!!!!  


1 comment:

Martha said...

OH! How did I miss that last post! You are amazingly brave - and only a parent could say that!

It sounds like a really neat program and I'm sure Rachel had a great time. I'm also sure that she will be equally happy to be home soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...